When it comes to building something of value — whether it’s a business, career, a brand, or even yourself as an individual – it is important to remember that “challenge” is usually part and parcel of the process.
All too often, people want to attain success without struggling or paying a price, they are always looking for “Easy Street” or “Shortcuts” or “Corners”.
Unfortunately, success does not fall on any one’s laps, rather you must work hard for it.
You don’t improve your problem-solving skills when you have never solved a problem before. So, don’t run away from it.
Let’s look at some Biblical References that talk about mindsets
• Proverbs 23:7 says
“For as he thinks in his heart, so is he”.
• You will become who you think about, so if you think failure you will become one and vice versa
• Luke 6:45
“A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks”.
• What you fill your mind with is what you will talk about. If you fill your mind with impossibility, you will eventually speak it and be it and vice versa
• After all it is what you speak and believe in that will be your driver.
• Mark 7:15
“There is nothing that enters a man from outside which can defile him; but the things which come out of him, those are the things that defile a man.”
• 2 Corinthians 4:18
“While we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.”
• Your external environment does not define your life or future, rather it is what comes out from within you, that determines how far you will go
• Our current circumstances are temporary and will eventually expire, but the vision we have in our heart will stand the test of time.
HOW TO CREATE A POSITIVE MINDSET FOR GLOBAL IMPACT
As we noticed from the scriptural references we just read, our mind is very important in creating a positive mindset. This is because:
1. THE BATTLE OF LIFE STARTS FROM THE MIND
• The battle of the mind is the most difficult to fight, because the enemy is not external, but within you. The person that can drag you back or stop you is YOU!
• Until you are successful in your mind, you cannot be successful in life. Winners overcome the hurdles in the mind before they can overcome their physical environment
• A positive mindset keeps you going despite your challenges.
• A positive mindset helps you to visualize your goals and ultimately resulting in your ability to reach them
2. YOUR PERSPECTIVE ABOUT LIFE IS A RESULT OF YOUR MINDSET
• DO YOU ALWAYS SEE THE NEGATIVE IN EVERY SITUATION?
With a positive mindset you will see the good in every situation
John Milton once said, “Every cloud has a silver lining”
• WHAT IS YOUR OUTLOOK ABOUT LIFE, DO YOU ALWAYS REGARD IT AS HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY?
3. THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN
• The preacher in the book of Ecclesiastes 1:9 says
“That which has been is what will be, that which is done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.”
• When you face a challenge, realise that it is not peculiar to you. Others have also faced the same and they overcame.
• Who is an overcomer here?
• If they can, you can. YES YOU CAN!
4. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE, IF YOU BELIEVE
Mark 9:23 says,
“Jesus said to him, if you can BELIEVE, all things are possible to him who believes.”
• Remove the word impossible or can’t from your dictionary.
• That you cannot do it does not mean it cannot be done.
• There is always a solution to every problem, you have just not found it yet.
• When you open your mind to solving a problem, two things happen immediately:
1. The problem is already half solved
2. The forces and elements of life will cooperate with you to make it a reality. You will be amazed at the endless possibilities that you will come up with.
5. SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE INFLUENCES AND INFLUENCERS
Proverbs 13:20 says,
“He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will be destroyed.”
• Build a network of people who approach life positively.
• Their words will sink in and affect your own line of thinking, which then affects your words and then your actions.
• Spend less time with those who bring you down, who don’t see anything good in you or your background. Did someone not look down on Jesus and even said in John 1:46,
“Can anything good come out of Nazareth?”
• Eliminate the negativity in your life before it consumes you.
6. KEEP LEARNING AND RELEARNING
Albert Einstein, a German physicist and Nobel Prizewinner once said, “once you stop learning, you start dying”.
• To keep a positive mindset, you must always seek knowledge continuously, it increases your self-esteem
• Learning exposes you to possibilities and opportunities you never knew existed
• Learning and relearning keeps you flexible and open to ideas
LESSONS TO LEARN IN ORDER TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL CAREER OR BUSINESS
1. HAVE A VISION:
Jonathan Swift (an Irish author and clergyman) once said, “Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others”
For you to be successful, you must be able to see beyond the ordinary. When others are seeing challenges and difficulties, you are seeing opportunities.
Afterall, it was only Caleb and Joshua out of all those whom Moses sent to spy out the promised land that came back with positive reports. The rest saw giants, they saw impossibilities and were fearful. They came back with negative reports and minds. It was only those who spoke and behaved positively that made it to the promised land.
• You must have a dream of what you want to achieve or which business or career you want to pursue. Your inner vision of where you want to be will give you a propelling energy to see it to a logical conclusion.
2. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND YOUR DREAMS
• Coby Bryant said,
“If you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will”
• Have a strong inner belief and value about your future and focus on creating your world and outcomes
• Consistently focus on positive acknowledgements about yourself
• Consistently focus on positive outcomes and possibilities for your life
“If your will is weak, you won’t get started, it won’t work”.
3. PURSUE YOUR DREAM – BE READY TO PAY THE PRICE
• Research carried out by the University of Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA, revealed that 92% out of those who write New Year resolutions or goals do not accomplish them.
• It’s not enough to have a dream of where you want to be or what you want to achieve, you must be willing to pursue your goal.
• In pursuing your dream, you will have to make sacrifices and pay a price or even prices. There is no magic to it. Short cuts can be very dangerous and even expensive. Some forget that in trying to gain the world, they can lose their souls.
• The pathway to success is paved with several obstacles and only those who are willing and ready to surmount those challenges will succeed at the end of the day.
• I will like to remind you that in the bible, we read that to get to heaven is not easy and that the road to hell is wide, while the road to heaven is narrow and very few find it.
4. DON’T GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM NO MATTER THE OBSTACLES
• Some sit there procrastinating, and their tomorrow never comes
• Some people have lofty dreams of what they want to achieve in life, but because of unforseen circumstances that they did not plan for, they experience a setback, become frustrated and give up too easily on their dreams.
• Life is not a bed of roses, there is a saying that, “if life gives you a lemon, make lemonades”.
• Life is full of uncertainties, and you must brace up to life to secure your future.
• I met someone who told me he would have gone to school if only his father had not died, yet I heard of someone else who sponsored himself all the way to university by working as a steward (houseboy). Make your choice. You will always reap what you sow.
• Delay is not denial, where is your patience?
• Your fall is not failure, follow up, it’s supposed to toughen you
• You lost an opportunity, it’s not the end of the world, find another. Am sure you can turn a challenge to your opportunity.
• You could not find a job, (You were an unsuccessful job seeker) then become an employer of labour. Check out your talent, start from where you are. Start on a small scale, learn from your mistakes and work your way up.
5. BE READY TO TAKE RISKS
Mark Zuckerberg, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder of Face book says,
“The biggest risk is not taking any risk
In a world that is changing very quickly
The only strategy that is guaranteed to fail
Is not taking any risks”.
Life and living itself is a risk. When you wake up in the morning, there is no guarantee that you will get back home safely. Should you then sit at home in order to be safe?.
Flying, driving, riding are all risky, you must go out trusting God to take you back home safely. So it is concerning your dreams, you cannot afford to play it safe all the time. There is no business venture that does not have a possibility of failing. The only thing is that some are riskier than others. The more challenging is often times the more lucrative.
I am not talking about taking blind risks here but counting the cost, weighing all your options and after you have done your due diligence, GO FOR IT!.
Also, the bible says in Ecclesiastes 11:4,
“He who observes the wind will not sow,
And he who regards the clouds will not reap”
Let me give you an example of a Risk Taker: The Story of Steve Jobs and Apple
6. BE A PERSON OF INTEGRITY
Integrity: is defined as “the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles that you refuse to change”.
You must refuse to change your strong principles and your values in life.
• Integrity is letting your YES be YES and your NO be NO.
• Any person who does not have integrity will not last.
• Honesty is the best policy. Let your character be consistent. Also let your name radiate its meaning especially if your name is Honesty. I know of such who got sacked for his dishonesty.
• It is not a matter of how far, it is a matter of how well.
• It’s not a matter of how much you are able to amass, it is a matter of how you amassed it or made it. Some say, “He has made it”. Check out how! That’s more important.
• Do not sell your soul because you want to ride in a big car and have a fine house. We all know the story of Evans the Kidnapper that built a beautiful mansion for himself and had an array of cars through kidnapping innocent people and robbing them of their hard-earned money.
7. NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE GOD-FACTOR
Proverbs 3:5-6 says,
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths”.
• I am a firm believer in the God factor, because I am a living testimony of His power, grace and favour.
• When all else failed, I experienced God turning a nobody into a somebody.
• There are people who medical science has condemned to death, but God raised them from the bed of affliction. Others have been told they cannot have children, but they refused to believe in the report of man but trusted God to show up and He did.
• Therefore, whatever your dream, trust in God to bring it to reality and He will not disappoint you. Hold on to hope in Romans 5:5,
“Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.”
Everyone has the potential for greatness
Life is full of up’s and down’s and life happens to everybody.
Success is achievable no matter the opposition you face. However, the difference between a winner and a failure is their mindset. The failure sees the cup half empty, while the winner sees it half-full
The seed that you sow today will become the tree of the future